Lennox air conditioners are considered highly reliable and long-lasting units. Still, even these may leak from time to time. There are some tricks that one should perform on their own if they notice that their Lennox air conditioner is leaking. However, one must understand that only some repairs can be done with qualified help.
Finding the Cause of the Leaks
Hence, the first task is to locate the leakage point. To detect this, one may have to check with the air conditioner unit if there are any indications of water damage. Familiar places to look for leaks include:
- The condensate drain line
- The evaporator coil
- The refrigerant line
- The plate beneath the condenser.
Fortunately, if you trace the leak’s origin, you can do a DIY(Do It Yourself) repair. Nevertheless, suppose you cannot trace the leak origin, or it involves something that can compromise the integrity of your system, like the refrigerant line. In that case, a qualified HVAC professional should be contacted immediately.
Repairing a leaking condensate drain line
Among the most prominent sources of leaks is the condensate drain line in Lennox air conditioners. It refers to a bar that removes water generated in the cooling process. If a drain line gets stopped or rotten, it might let the water seepage enter a house.
To fix a leaking condensate drain line, you will need to:
- To conserve electricity, one should switch off the air conditioning system.
- Locate the condensate drain line. It’s usually a tiny white PVC duct leading from your AC unit and exiting into the exterior.
- Check on the drain line for any evidence of damage/clogging. When the drain line gets blocked, use a drain snake or flush it with water.
- If your drain line is perforated, you must change it. Most hardware stores sell new drain lines, which you can buy.
- Afterwards, clear or replace the drain line and turn on the air conditioner unit.
Fixing a Leaking Evaporator Coil
Another leak is usually associated with the evaporator coil on the Lennox air conditioner. The air conditioner contains an internal component known as the evaporator coil, which cools the air. Water may leak onto the house if there are leaks in the evaporator coil.
To fix a leaking evaporator coil, you will need to:
- Switch off your air-conditioner.
- Locate the evaporator coil. It can typically be found inside the air-conditioner unit, behind the filter.
- Check if there is some damage to the evaporator coil. It would be best to replace an evaporator coil that is broken.
- As long as the evaporator coil is in good condition, you could also repair it by tightening the connections.
Fixing a Leaking Refrigerant Line
The refrigerant line moves the refrigerant all around the air conditioning system. Many issues like reduced cooling power and environmental contamination, among others, may arise through leakage of the refrigerant line.
You should call in an experienced HVAC to mend a leaky refrigerant line. It will enable the technician to fix leaks in the refrigerant line or fill it using an appropriate amount of refrigerant.
Preventing Leaks in the Future
There are a few things you can do to prevent leaks in your Lennox air conditioner in the future:
- Ensure regular and professional upkeep of HVAC units. As a result, this will enable identifying any emerging issues to avoid leakages.
- Clean the air conditioner unit regularly. Cleaning the filter and the condensate drain line periodically is also part of it.
- Ensure that you check your air conditioner unit regularly for signs of damage. Immediately repair any damage found in your home or premises.
There are several issues that you can address by yourself if your Lennox air conditioner has been leaking. Nonetheless, some repairs require hiring an experienced HVAC technician. In cases where you cannot find the source of the leaks and they emanate from essential parts such as the refrigerant pipeline, you should call a competent HVAC technician.
You should fix the leak only when you feel confident to do so, or else call an experienced HVAC technician if the leak appears at an important component, for example, from the refrigeration.
- Exercise caution when handling your air conditioner unit. These units have electrical parts which are harmful.
- If you choose to replace any of them, then make sure you are using parts which are suitable for your Lennox AC system.
- Upon repairing the leakage, test the air conditioner unit before use.
FAQS ( Lennox Air Conditioner )
Q: Among all types of leaks, what are the leading sources for Lennox air conditioners?
A: Common causes of leaks on Lenox air conditioners include:
- Consequently, it may lead to clogged or damaged condensate drain lines.
- Leaking evaporator coil
- Leaking refrigerant line
- Damaged drain pan
Q: What are some ways through which I can find out where a leak is emanating from my Lennox air conditioner?
A: Check the entire air conditioner unit for any signs of water damage to identify the cause of the leak. Familiar places to look for leaks include:
- The condensate drain line
- The evaporator coil
- The refrigerant line
- Air Conditioner Pan and Unit.
Q: How do I repair the leaking condensate drain line on my Lennox AC system?
A: Follow these steps to repair a dripping condensate drain line:
- Switch off the air conditioning system.
- Locate the condensate drain line. It is a short and thin, white plastic pipe that connects the air conditioner unit with the external part of the house from the inside out.
- Check the drain line condition and look out for any damage or obstructions. In case the drain line has been blocked, you may remove the blockage using a drain snake or by pushing through water.
- In case the pipe of the drain line becomes weakened, then you should go ahead and replace it. Most hardware stores will let you buy a new drain line.
- Clearing or replacing the drain line, switch on the AC unit and check for any leakages.
Q: What do I do if my Lennox AC has a leaking evaporator coil?
A: You will be required to fix a leaking evaporator coil by:
- Shut down the air conditioner.
- Locate the evaporator coil. Typically, it is installed within the cooling unit’s compartment, behind the filter.
- Check the condition of the evaporator coil. If the evaporator coil is damaged, you have no option but to replace it.
- You might also stop the leak if the evaporator coil is undamaged, but its connections are too loose.
Q: What should I do about the leaking refrigerant line in my Lennox air-conditioning system?
A: To repair the leaking refrigerant line, you must invite a skilled HVAC expert. The technician will repair or replace the refrigerant line to charge it accordingly.
Q: What can I do to ensure my Lennox AC has no future leaks?
A: Below are some suggestions that would help to avoid leakages on your Lennox air conditioner in the future.
An HVAC system should be scheduled for regular maintenance by a trained expert. That will identify any problems that might lead to leakage before they happen.
Clean your air conditioner unit regularly. For instance, one should ensure that it is a routine practice to clean the filter and the condensate drain line.
Conduct periodic inspections of an air conditioner unit for any sign of wear and tear. Ensure that you repair any damages as soon as possible if you happen to see any of them on the vehicle’s surface.
Q: When should I consult a certified HVAC technician?
A: Consult a certified HVAC technician:
- You need to find out where the leak is coming from.
- A leak in a crucial part, such as the refrigerant pipeline.
- It is because you cannot fix the leak on your own.